Fire Extinguisher Servicing
Home » Fire Extinguisher Servicing
Fire Extinguisher Servicing
Fire Extinguisher Servicing is a legal requirement in Ireland under the “Fire Service Act 1981/2003” and the “Safety Helath and Welfare at Work Act 2005”. It is also set down in the requirements of various codes of practice. The Irish Standard that sets down the requirement for fire extinguisher servicing is described in “I.S. 291-2015”.
What the Law/Standard Requires:-
- 100% of extinguishers must be visually inspected and weighed at least annually.
- 30% of Foam/Water Extinguishers must be discharged tested, refilled and inspected annually.
- 20% of CO2/Powder Extinguishers must be discharged tested, refilled and inspected annually.
- CO2 Extinguishers must be pressure tested after 10 years and then every 5 years after that.
- Staff must be trained in the use of fire extinguishers and emergency procedures.
Why do you need Fire Extinguishers?
It is a fact that nearly all fires start off small. If you can get to a fire in the early stages of development, you can usually extinguish a fire safely without risk to your safety. A fire extinguisher, is an active fire protection device used to extinguish or control small fires, in the early stages of development only. Fire extinguishers are not intended for use on an out-of-control fire, that could potentially endanger the user. The law states that all companies must have emergency first aid fire fighting equipment in place, these should be in the form of fire extinguishers. It also states that your fire extinguishers must be serviced and maintained. Let Guardian Safety manage your fire extinguisher servicing so that you are fully compliant with .
Guardian Safety specialise in fire extinguisher servicing and will service your fire extinguishers to meet these standards.
All Fire Extinguishers will receive a full and thorough examination each year and the following work will be carried out as part of the standard service.
- 30% of Foam extinguishers will be discharged, examined and refilled,
- As proof of discharge a ring/tag will be placed over the head of foam/water/powder extinguishers.
- 20% of CO2 extinguishers will be discharged, examined and refilled.
- Broken parts will be replaced.
- The safety seal will be replaced with a different colour seal which will be dated.
- All extinguishers will be weighed.
- Fire blankets will be inspected as part of the service, at no extra charge.
- Rather than pressure testing CO2 extinguishers we will replace them with with almost new or new CO2 extinguishers, (at no extra charge to you).
You will receive a Certificate of Conformity to IS: 291-2015. This should be displayed in a place of work for your insurer and for inspection by fire officer.
Here is an example of the certificate you will receive.
If you need advice or want us to carry out an assessment please feel free to call us for a no obligation quotation on 01 424 3013
Your business and opinion is extremely important to us. To ensure the quality of or work, if you are not happy with the fire extinguisher servicing provided by Guardian Safety, we will rectify any issues immediately, once they are within our control. If our engineers fail to do their job properly, upon inspection of his/her work by our senior engineer, we will rectify any work and offer you a full refund and still provide you with certification once everything has been rectified.
We will arrange to undertake the necessary inspections whenever they are due and advise you of any action necessary to keep your equipment in good working order. We can service all types of fire extinguishers all at fixed prices with no hidden extras. To get prices and arrange fire extinguisher servicing simply contact us or call our friendly team at 01 424 3013.